Treating Neck Pain
Neck pain is a common complaint that we treat at Shenandoah Chiropractic in Harrisonburg, VA. Dr. Keefe uses various techniques and therapies to relieve neck pain with natural and effective chiropractic care. We will create a treatment plan that is customized to provide pain relief and support the recovery process. Best of all, chiropractic care does not rely on pain medication or invasive procedures like surgery to produce results.
The Causes of Neck Pain
The neck is responsible for supporting the head which weighs on average, 10–11 pounds. The neck’s flexibility makes it vulnerable to conditions that cause pain. Common causes a chiropractor can treat include:
- Muscle Strains - These are generally caused by overuse, poor posture, and repetitive motion. For example, by spending hours looking down at a smartphone.
- Nerve Compression - A bone spur or herniated disc in your neck can create pressure on the nerves that branch from the spinal cord.
- Worn-out Joints - Like all joints, the neck area tends to wear with age.
- Injuries - Injuries, like whiplash from an auto accident, can cause strains to the soft tissue in the neck.
- Disease - Neck pain can be caused by rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, stenosis, or meningitis.
Chiropractic Care for Neck Pain
A chiropractor uses non-surgical treatment options to reduce and eliminate neck pain. Most of our patients find relief with a combination of the following therapies:
- Spinal manipulation and adjustments - This includes hands-on and instrument-assisted spinal adjustments.
- Manual Therapies - This may include joint stretching, trigger point therapy, and soft tissue therapy.
- Interferential Electrical Stimulation - This therapy stimulates the neck muscles using low-frequency electrical currents.
- Ultrasound Therapy - This can help reduce pain and stiffness in the neck by using sound waves applied to your muscles.
Do not ignore your pain or a misaligned spine. A misaligned spine can make you more vulnerable to severe injuries requiring more invasive medical treatments.
Contact Us for Neck Pain Relief in Harrisonburg, VA
If you are experiencing acute or chronic neck pain and live in or around Harrisonburg, Dr. Keefe at Shenandoah Chiropractic is here to help. Don’t let neck pain prevent you from doing the things that you love. Call our team today at (540) 564-6735 or reach us through our website by using our online contact form.